1 Jun 2010

Music: Future Islands

On a recent downloading binge I was lucky enough to stumble across the enthralling sound of Future Islands, who hail (and then wail) from Baltimore, and who have nurtured a sparse and deconstructed synth-pop sound that packs with it a wonderfully dark and forbidden punch. If you don't believe me, just enjoy this single, called Tin Man, and the beautiful, romantic, lyrical video that has been made for it by Jay Buim:

Future Islands - Tin Man from Thrill Jockey Records on Vimeo.


Probably my favourite song from the band's album (entitled In Evening Air) is this slow-burner, a haunting track called As I Fall that swells and undulates and takes you over with every repeated bassline and lyric:

Future Islands - As I Fall from Thrill Jockey Records on Vimeo.


There's a real strength, texture and resonance to these guys, and especially to enigmatic frontman Samuel T Herring, whose aching vocals bring a real heartbreak to the already refreshingly mature sound. Raw, energetic and pulsating, and instantly captivating. I love it. Give them a listen and see them when you can.

X

No comments:

Post a Comment