29 Oct 2010

Music: October Playlist

This month's musical melange has spent the best part of three days avoiding Kings Of Leon and going round to pick up the last of its things when they're not there...

1) FERRABY LIONHEART - Harry and Bess (from the album entitled 'The Jack of Hearts')



Happy and jolly like brollies and lollies. Okay, that was a little weird, but it really is an infectious little tune this, and follows the pattern for the rest of the man's album. Bit Belle and Sebastien, bit Sondre Lerche, but all round fun and friendly frolicks.

2) WHITE DENIM - Tony Fatti (from the album entitled 'Last Day Of Summer')



I think this is their third album so far, and it's by far and away my favourite. More accessible and tighter than their previous offerings, and with a sunny, jazz-infected sound that sounds at times like Local Natives or Cold War Kids. "I'm like an engine but I got no gas/feel like an outlaw without a badge". Love that lyric.

3) ALOE BLACC - I Need A Dollar (from the album entitled 'Good Things')



This song is/was the soundtrack to the HBO series 'How To Make It In America'. I ain't never seen it, and I think I'm very late coming to this guy but I love his soulful voice. An observant chappy on youtube has commented that he "loves the bit where he needs a dollar". I can't concur more.

4) PETE MOLINARI - Streetcar Named Desire (from the album entitled 'A Train Bound For Glory')



STELLA!!! Okay, it's not a literal translation of Arthur Miller classic, and Brando isn't anywhere near this bitch, but doesn't it just make you want to hit the diner and put some records on the jukebox, then maybe go park with that cutie from Main Street? It does over here, I tell you. I put this album on and shut my eyes and I can almost taste the coke float. Love it.

5) HUNGRY KIDS OF HUNGARY - Coming Around (from the album entitled 'Escapades')



Like good old Rob Gordon, I'm feeling pretty basic today, and so here comes another "track one, side one" from this four-piece pop rock group from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (The Earth). The album's a curious beast, at times poppish and simple, sounding a bit like Blue Album Weezer, and then there are sudden changes into a more angular, experimental sound that reminds one of Minus The Bear (the kings of that brand jazz-influenced psych-indie, if that even exists...). Either way you like your music, it's all done with charm and energy. What more can you want. Maybe a footrub? Not today. Okay.

6) DIE! DIE! DIE! - We Built Our Own Oppressors (from the album entitled 'Form')



Punky punks (though they look more like nice students) doing some sort of contemporary indie punk. From New Zealand. Very good. Find album. Listen to album. Over.

7) BELLE AND SEBASTIEN - I Didn't See It Coming (from the album entitled 'Belle and Sebastien Write About Love')



The new album by B&S is excellent, and has rightly received praise. They're just so damn likeable. I don't need to say much more about it, as it speaks for itself. Beautiful sound, beautiful songs. They get better with age, like a fine wine, or blues musicians...

8) IDA JENSHUS - No Guarantees (from the album entitled 'No Guarantees')



Caitlin Rose got a lot of praise for bringing back country music, and I hope that this lass will get a similar slap on the back. Her album is quite beautiful, a real heartbreaker. She may well not though, seeing as her name is almost unfathomably hard to say without sounding drunk or on meth.

9) GARETH LIDDIARD - Strange Tourist (from the album entitled 'Strange Tourist')



He writes long songs, and doesn't play with greatest accuracy, but there's a gripping heart to this guy's music, and this song I think shows his talent for passionate story-telling.

10) REVEREND PEYTON'S BIG DAMN BAND - Clap Hands (from some album, I can't for the life of me find out...)



Mental. Blues and country all mashed up and spewed out. It's great stuff, and when was the last time you saw somebody playing the washboard? Exactly.

11) HUNDRED REASONS - I'll Find You (from the album entitled 'Ideas Above Our Station', and WHAT an album)



I was fishing through my music collection the other day and I found Hundred Reasons' phenomenal debut 'Ideas ABove Our Station'. Back came the memories, flooding on with force. Drinking in the park. Heatham House band night. Secret gigs at the Underworld in Camden. Patches on the bag. I was such a huge fan, and having rediscovered the album, am again.

No comments:

Post a Comment