2 Dec 2010

TV/Comedy: GRANDAD!!! The Morgana Show

It's 10:25 in the morning and I'm in bed watching TV (suck on that nine-to-fivers, ha!). I've not watched much TV recently, so I decide to catch up on some things I've missed. Then I see The Morgana Show. I remember the adverts. I remember giggling at the adverts. Then I remember thinking that well, the adverts are probably just all the best bits and it'll probably be a let down. Then I think, alright, what the heck, it doesn't cost anything, I'll give it a crack. All this remembering and thinking takes about five minutes.

Thirty minutes later, and I feel like the scales have fallen from my eyes. I have a new hero. Her name is Morgana Robinson.

This program is without doubt one of the most refreshing things to hit the box in some time. Not necessarily because it does anything different, because lots would argue that it doesn't, but because a comedian (and a female one at that, eh Germaine? RIGHT ON) is performing a perfectly judged mix of silliness and satire with a skill and talent and energy that has been seriously lacking in TV sketch comedy for some time.

Celebrities are lampooned (Cheryl Cole and Danni Minogue are justifiably speared, Lady Gaga is rightly mocked, Fearne takes a satisfying beating...literally), outlandish and vile creations (such as a bitter Hollywood dame and an ignorant perma-tanned Newsreader) are free to tear up the screen with aplomb, and then British culture, small and so close to home, is put under the microscope with a loving heart which enjoys the silly idiosyncracies of everyday "plebs". My favourite character, BY FAR, is Gilbert, who has his Grandad behind the home video camera as he tries to make his own show. It is, and I will say this again and again, comedy GOLD:



Episode 1 was a blistering start, and I look forward to the remaining series. On the back of its success, The Guardian has started a debate about female comedians getting more air time, and though The Morgana Show could, if you REALLY want to, be chalked up as a win for the girls, woohoo, it would be better to recognise that there are a host of rather rubbish female comedians out there (Miranda, for one, and the often lazilly vile Lucy Porter for another) who prove that it is not her being a woman that makes her show satisfying, it is the pure delightful funniness of it all.

More clips:





Her Fearne Cotton is UNCANNY. MUMFORD AND SONS!!!! Skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment